So the good folks at SOE have decided to go F2P with the granddaddy of them all. (Yes, I know UO and Meridian 59 are older… Don’t care.)
As much as I have fond memories for EQ, I should remind you all to read the “fine print”. For example:
- Freepers only get to play one of four races (Human, Erudite, Barbarian, Gnome)
- …and one of four classes. (Warrior, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue)
- Freepers can only create 2 characters on a given server.
- Freepers are limited with respect to bags, spells, money, and the ability to use in-game mail.
- Freepers don’t get access to in-game support. (Knowledge Base Only)
and the biggie…
- Freepers are subjected to in-game pop-up advertising.
Now for 5 dollars, you can upgrade your account to “Silver” status. (Note: former subscribers are automatically upgraded to Silver) Which doesn’t do much for you aside from raising some of the limits mentioned above. Silver subscribers are still subjected to in-game pop-up ads.
If you want the “full” version of the game, it’s still $14.99/month. (Seriously? For a 13 year old game?) The good news is that you can pay the monthy fee (or the upgrade to “Silver”) using “Station Cash” that you may have accrued from playing other SOE games. Station Cash will also be used to purchase and unlock “freemium” content for regular and Silver subscribers.
In-game ads… No thanks. That one “feature” is pretty much a deal breaker for me with any game. (Are you listening, Blizzard?)