Those of you who don’t spend pretty much every waking hour buried deep in the mire of social media may not be aware of it, but there is a very special and important scientific experiment going on today. A prominent Iranian cleric (I’ll bet he has a Shadow spec) claims that the reason we’re seeing so many earthquakes recently is because too many woman in modern society dress inappropriately and behave in a promiscuous manner. In response to this “enlightened” statement, self-proclaimed perverted atheist blogger Jen McCreight declared that today, Monday April 26th, would be a day in which women should dress inappropriately to see if they could cause earthquakes. With her huge tracts of land prominently on display, Jen hopes to cause what she has appropriately dubbed a Boobquake.
I’m thinking that perhaps the image I used for the geek roundup last week would have been a better match for today. Ah well.
Unfortunately nothing I have in the way of geek news from the weekend is nearly as awesome as that, but I figure I’ll do my best to catch you up on the latest anyway.
- There’s a report that the Howling Commandos, Nick Fury’s team of elite soldiers during World War II, will be appearing in the upcoming Captain America : The First Avenger movie. This could potentially lead the way for a fairly prominent role for our favorite B.M.F. Samuel L. Jackson in the film. [source]
- While you’ve inevitably come across more than a few folks dressed up like Batman while making your way around the con, you may soon have a chance to see the Caped Crusader live in a whole new way. Batman scribe Alan Burnett (Batman : The Animated Series and Batman : Mask of the Phantasm) is working on a script for a live-action “arena event” in the spirit of touring shows like Walking With Dinosaurs. I have to admit to being a little nervous about the fact that they also mention Mama Mia as a source of inspiration, but if they DO decide to make it a musical they damn well better resurrect that Jim Steinham book. [source]
- William Shatner is singing again, this time with Lin Yu Chun (a recent phenom discovered on a Taiwanese version of the Got Talent shows). We have George Lopez to thank for what is now the quintessential rendition of “Total Eclipse of the Heart.” [source]
- Apparently someone is gay in Riverdale, and much to everyone’s surprise it is NOT Jughead. In fact, a new character by the name of Kevin Keller is being introduced to the Archie universe in an upcoming issue of Veronica. Looks like the folks over at Dad’s Garage saw this one coming. [source]
- So, apparently, there is an Army of Darkness animated series in the works. I say apparently because I haven’t been able to find anything official on it outside of a series of images that were posted by someone who is supposedly an animator on the show. I’m not going to hold my breath on this one, but I’ll definitely keep my eye out for an official announcement. All I’ve got to say is that if it’s true they damn well better make sure they get Bruce Campbell on board. [source]
Ok, kids. That’s all I’ve got for this week. Time to go finish stocking up on non-perishable goods so that I’m sure to survive the fallout of the Boobquake.